On 30.09.2008 at 8:54 Uhr +0100 Peter Alcibiades apparently wrote:
How do you pad out a series of numbers with leading zeros?  Like for instance
the series is

.1.
.2.
.3.
.11.
.42.
.98.

and you want them to be

.001.
.002.
.003.
.011.
.042.
.098.

I know how to find them, using the fact that they appear as shown between
two . characters,  but then I don't know how to use regular expressions to
put part of what has been found back along with the padding zeros.  Or should
you not be trying to use regex at all?  I seem to recall something about look
ahead and greediness but never really understood it, is this relevant?

Peter

Simple brute force method is:

put length(theNumber) into theNumberLength
if theNumberLength < 5 then
   get zero
   if theNumberLength < 4 then get zero & zero
   put it after char 1 of theNumber
end if

same -- a bit less efficient but shorter:

if length(theNumber) < 4 then put zero after char 1 of theNumber
if length(theNumber) < 5 then put zero after char 1 of theNumber

If the numbers are part of a longer string, you may need to use offset function to find the insert position.

Robert