Hi Mark,

If I hadn't diddled with things some more it probably would have worked as you thought. I had already partially implemented a somewhat similar handler and in copy/pasting may have not had things strictly as they should be. The most confusing thing about closing/quiting in OSX is the elimination of the Quit item from the file menu and its transfer to the Application menu; plus the use of the red dot close "button". I had been using a handler in the Stack Script to the effect:

on shutdownRequest -- confirm with the user:
   answer question "Save changes before quitting?" with "Yes" or "No"
   if it is "No" then pass shutdownRequest -- allow to quit
   else
      save this stack
      pass shutdownRequest
   end if
end shutdownRequest

plus a menuPick item :

 case "Close"
         answer "Save changes before closing?" with "No" or "Yes"
         if it is "Yes" then
            save this stack
         end if
         close this stack
      break

This seems to work most of the time, though occasionally, I won't get a dialog for saving before closing. If I had more hair, I'd probably continue trying to figure this out. For now, I'm just saving all the time. But thanks...

Joe Wilkins