On 31 Oct 2008, at 5:00 pm, Ken Ray wrote:

Right - in both cases, you can use specialFolderPath(35) and it will resolve
properly on both platforms.

Aha. That is very helpful. I had followed the link on the Rev dictionary page and found CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES = 0x0026 which I hadn't appreciated is pure VB (?), I thought the numerical reference was a Windows thing, and represented what I would have to put in the parentheses in specialfolderpath (). I just hadn't read properly your web page which clearly states "Use the entry under the No. heading with specialFolderPath" I also hadn't anticipated the simplicity of the syntax being the naked decimal number in parentheses.

That one example has no doubt saved me hours of fettling about.

Tiemo is right though - on both Vista and XP, the Application Data (or
ProgramData) folder is a hidden folder that novice users won't have changed.

That could be exactly what I want for my results stack. I can see that lots of developers use it, presumable for data which are not preferences or user accessible products of the program.

The general rule of thumb is:

- Applications go into "C:/Program Files" (XP) or "C:/ Programs" (Vista);
accessed with "specialFolderPath(38)"

- Support files for the application that the user won't be getting access
to go in "C:/Documents and Settings/<user>/Application Data" (XP) or
"C:/Users/<user>/AppData/Roaming" (Vista); accessed with
"specialFolderPath(26)"

I would prefer not to save this stack on a per user basis, but have a single copy updated by all users. Would it be OK just to refer to a via specialfolderpath(26) but just trim the path to refer to a folder sitting 'above' the /<user>/ folder? If not, I think programdata might be the way to go.

  - User-generated or user-accessible files go in "C:/Documents and
Settings/<user>/My Documents" (XP) or "C:/Users/<user>/ Documents" (Vista); accessed with "specialFolderPath("documents") or "specialFolderPath (5)"

That's great, and I will save all my exported charts and whatnot to a user specific folder here.

  - Preferences/settings go in the Registry

Really helpful overall. Thanks Ken et al. The fog is clearing, and the red herrings are swimming off into the distance.

Best,

David Glasgow