On Nov 29, 2008, at 9:28 AM, Tim Ponn wrote:

Hello!

Can anybody recommend a usb barcode scanner that I can get to work with rev? I using rev 2.81 and a Mac. I've got my POS app working nicely now and it's time for the next step...adding a scanner.

What Stephen said. One other thing to know is that the barcode scanners can have their behavior modified by scanning barcodes in the booklet that comes with them. For example, you can have the scanner send a return after it's finished reading the barcode. That can be handy for your input routine, so it knows when the scanner has finished sending.

There is no difference at all between a user typing on a keyboard, and the scanner sending its keystrokes, so if you have an application where a user is supposed to type into one field, and a scanner grabs a barcode without showing the text captured, your user could trigger the scanner while typing into the visible field, and they will see the barcode numbers typed in for them. That may not matter, but it could influence your design, you would want to make sure not to set up situations where the user can easily be confused.

Another setting for the scanner is the baud rate (they're really serial, with USB converters). Set that to as high as you can, and even then the apparent typing speed is not very fast.