The speed thing is really true with Rev. When I started experimenting with Rev in late 2001 on Mac OS9, I wasted a whole lot of time worrying if my old XCMDs would run in the environment. I was just familiar with the way I always did it -- HC for the front end, XCMDs to do the heavy lifting. Then I did a little text manipulation and was amazed at how fast it was.

Like many in the day, I was trying to make HC stacks function like applications, and Mr. Rinaldi gave away, for free, many, many extensions that made our stacks actually do that. I had every one. And the guy didn't even have a donation scheme. There were many other authors of XCMDs but he was the most prolific (Although looking back at Eric Chatonet's history, we see that same kind of generosity and numerous HC stacks -- I have all those too.).

Of course, there were many other great products that enabled us - like Compilit, X-App, Windowscript, and Tom Pitman's PrintReport, which had features only now rivaled by Rev, 20 years later.

Craig-

 How do you live without Rinaldi? I know that it is possible to work
 around anything, one always could. But I am going to miss "fullFind".

I haven't *seen* Rinaldi physically in about four years, but he's
still lurking around these parts.

 I have only needed an external once in all the years I've been using
 Rev, and that was for a very specialized application. All the other

A lot of the stuff we used to have to do with externals back in the
day are now in the rev engine. And the stuff we used to put in
externals for speed are now fast enough in the engine that it's now
mostly no longer necessary unless you've got specialized hardware or
software to talk to.

--
 -Mark Wieder

stephen barncard