Well at one point I considered 'fooling around' with Linux. Not anymore. I don't have that much time to fiddle. What a tower of Babel.

Peter Alcibiades wrote:
Of course its a thorny issue, and it depends what you want, who you are, and
what your machine is.  I don't think you lose anything by moving from
Ubuntu.  Like many other long term Linux users, I'm a bit baffled by its
popularity.

I totally agree with what Peter has written. However, I have a couple of chip in's.

I too never understood the popularity of Ubuntu.
On old machines try Zenwalk (slackware based and uses Xfce).  If this is
still too slow, try a minimal Debian with fluxbox as the WM.  If this is too
slow, Puppy.

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o