Ken,
It worked perfectly, of course.
Thank you.
Paul Looney

On Dec 9, 2008, at 2:06 PM, Ken Ray wrote:

How can I retrieve the computer serial number in OS X, Vista and
Linux from Rev?

Here's what I have, Paul... for OS X it can take a while (a few seconds) to get the number on OS X (since it has to go through a series of different
"system_profiler" data types), but it works (watch for wraps):

function stsGetSerialNumber pWinDriveLetter
   local tID
   switch (the platform)
      case "MacOS"
         put shell("system_profiler SPHardwareDataType") into tData
         put matchText(tData,"(?s)Serial Number:\W*(.*?)\n",tID) into
tIsMatch
      break
      case "Win32"
         if pWinDriveLetter = "" then put "C:" into tDriveLetter
         else put pWinDriveLetter into tDriveLetter
         if length(tDriveLetter) = 1 then put ":" after tDriveLetter
         set the hideConsoleWindows to true
         if the shellCommand <> "command.com" then
            put shell(tDriveLetter && "& dir") into tData
         else
            put "c:\temp.bat" into tBatPath
put tDriveLetter & cr & "dir" into url ("file:" & tBatPath)
            put shell("start" && tBatPath) into tData
            delete file tBatPath
         end if
put matchText(tData,"(?s)Serial Number is\W*(.*?)\n",tID) into
tIsMatch
      break
   end switch
   if tIsMatch then
      return tID
   else
      return "STSError: Can't locate serial number."
   end if
end stsGetSerialNumber

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.