Very good questions, Peter. It was a short meeting and we weren't talking about an actual proposal, just a future possibility with even that a bit hazy as to requirements. If we ever get down to a solid project, I shall What struck me most was the apparent dismissal of a language out of hand.

As for what I would do were I hiring a consultant (as I have done in the past), the most important thing to me is not the means the consultant might use, but his/her reputation as a capable professional, and his/her assurances that my specifications (including perhaps a measure of maintainability) can be met. That might be unprofessional of me, I suppose, but so far it's worked. It aligns with an attitude I have about management: hire wisely through recommendation and prior accomplishment, clearly specify the goals desired, and keep an eye on the work while avoiding interference as much as possible.

George