Bill Marriott wrote:
Bill,

It is for licensing. I was thinking that this would be a good method for a limited time trial of my software. The document stack would contain the user's data and the program would check the creation date of the data stack for the trail period. Once the user paid for the software it would no longer care what the creation date was.

RevSelect recently released Zygodact, which does this exact thing:

I should jump in here and mention that Zygodact provides efficient and easy software registration and protection, but it does not handle trial date expirations automatically. In this initial release, the software author does need to track a date themselves to determine when a trial is expired. The Zygodact manual has suggestions on how to manage that, but any of the ways discussed on the list will work as well.

I've considered adding trial date tracking to Zygodact, but I have mixed feelings about it. There are some reasons it probably should not be implemented, and should be left to the software author instead.