On Dec 31, 2008, at 11:59 AM, David Bovill wrote:

 One question about the data structure:

[root]
  [...@attributes]
      [attr1]
  [node]
      [node] = value

This would mean that to extract the plain tree structure you would have to:

filter keys(someArray) without "@*"

Isn't this unnecessarily slow?
What do you think about:

  - put treeArray ["_tree"]["root"]["node"][1] into nodeContents
- put treeArray ["_attribute"]["root"]["node"][1]["style"] into nodeStyle
  - put keys(treeArray ["_tree"]["root"]) into level1

Out of interest what do you use them for?

I've never timed the overhead of filter but in my case I don't notice a speed hit and the structure isn't unnecessary. I use these conversion routines to facilitate interfacing with web services. As soon as I receive a response from the server I convert it to a Revolution array. If I need to send a request then I create an array, convert to XML and send it. Often I need to be able to extract an entire node and send it to a function for further processing. If the attributes were stored in a different branch in the array then it would complicate the code for doing this.

In general I've found I can code much more quickly and end up with more readable code when working with the new MD arrays as opposed to the revXML calls.

Regards,

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems