Greg,

Download Chipp's altFldHeader stack from http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/RunRev/Downloads.htm
This gives you a group of header buttons that allow you to resize the columns of a field. You can also specify whether you want the button to be active and if so, you can put a sort routine in each one, or set a property that specifies the type of sort to do, and have a general sort routine that uses this. If you store the settings for the last sort, you can do reverse sorts if the same sort button is clicked a second time.

Cheers,
Sarah