Hi Sarah,

MySQL (3.2.3) use to be a very unsecure solution. More, it was unable to serve more than 10-15 connections/second. At that time, PostgreSQL (6.5) had become a very serious alternative to Oracle or Sybase rdbms.

Today, PostgreSQL is still a very suitable solution (more ACID- compliant than any issue of Oracle 10/11, very fast in both read and write modes, triggers, BSD license,...) and i use it, since 1998, all the time on both the Suse, Ubuntu or Mac OS X platforms. Never had any db krach or datas loose.... It's no any difficulty in installing PostgreSQL under the Linux (just select it in the packages to install) or Mac OS X (avoid the apple dev site instructions and prefer the Marc Lyanage specs at http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/ for the details).

On the other side, MySQL 4 did lots of progresses over the sad 3.2.3 issue and MySQL 5.xx is yet a mature and secure rdbms solution. Lots of rock solid apps are build on top of it (Typo3, Xoops, eZ Publish, limeSurvey,...).

So, to the end, just go to the simplest way for your project context. I choose, for my own, PostgreSQL each time i have to build a n-tier app from scratch on top of PHP+RunRev. I use MySQL 5.xx, each time i have to do with a prebuilded PHP-based app (ECMS, Survey tool, etc...) natively MySQL cpmliant.

PostgreSQL installs in the same way on both OS X server and OS X desktop. There is no client-side components installation need. About the db administration tool, i use differents ones but my prefered is Navicat (100 US $).

In about talking about PostgreSQL, the best is to say "Postgre SQL" ;-)

Hope this can help,

Best Regards,
--
Pierre Sahores