Many thanks to Brian and SparkOut on this thread.

This is turning out to be more complicated than I expected. I had assumed that I could write something like "launch <application> with variableContainingMyPDF" or something of that nature. Apparently not. I think I can follow the instructions and read the docs, though much of this is new to me, and rather over my head.

I wonder if I'm trying to do this the hard way. That's a specialty of mine when it comes to writing scripts.

One easier alternative, apparently, is to try to get good results displaying the PDF in a player. Any other possibilities?

Thanks again,

Tim