Jim,

Are you sure that simple polling is really too "bandwidth wasteful" for your application? You can make a lot of HTTP requests for a tiny file without coming close to the bandwidth needed for even small media files. A single dedicated web server should be able to service many thousands of requests per second. If each client was checking every 5 minutes (= 300 seconds), you could quite possibly scale to over a million clients talking to just 1 basic web server.

If you are serving media files from the same server, I would first look at that as the bottleneck. Those could eat up your server resources much faster than the polling. One simple solution would be moving your media files to a service such as Amazon S3, and then have the "gateway" server just service polling requests.

When you say "data" -- are these static files, or something that needs server-side scripts to return?

Generally speaking, there is no general solution. You need to define the actual requirements -- how frequent is the polling, how many users must you support, what is your budget, what kind of data are you serving, etc.

HTH

Here is what I want to do:

Lets say I have a large number of rev apps that will go to a web server and grab some data/image when told to do so (when given a signal to do so).

I could have these apps poll a text file or something on a web server every so many minutes but I want a less 'bandwidth wasteful' way to inform these apps to act.

What is the best way to do this? UDP? TCP server/client? Something else?
What obstacles might I encounter?

sim