Brian,

> What would be the basic requirement that would get people off the
> ground, without growing into a monster sound effect library?

if you gave me methods to play .wav and .aif files (.ogg would be a plus) on at least 8 different channels with the ability to set the playloudness, panning and pitch (no time stretching needed, just playing it faster would do just fine) I´d be a happy camper, if the thing would not need to rely on quicktime or any other 3rd party add on besides the external. There are quite a few opensauce libs around like the beforementioned irrklang or openAL (the audio counterpart to openGL). I would be willing to throw some $$$ into a pot instantly if only I got that for at least the Mac and Win (linux being a plus again). For me it would need to be able to dynamicly load and unload samples (.wav and .aif) and play those without cutting off each other. Though wrapping an external around an existing solution might be the lowest hanging fruit for someone who speaks C.

If someone is to set up a group to discuss further specs, or wants to carry this off list, please let me know.

Cheers,