On 26.03.09 at 23:47 -0700 James Hurley apparently wrote:
Watching the web demo today I witnessed a funny thing. It looked like this

twoDimenArray ["stuff"] ["moreStuff"]

I said to myself, So THIS must be the two dimensional arrays I've heard about.

Now silly me, I've been using

oneDimenArray[i,j]

Which I suppose now must be one dimensional arrays where the keys are lists of two parameters. (But it sure looks like the two dimensional arrays I held near and dear to my heart, low these many years.)

Jim,

A short answer can be:

think of multi-dimensional array in Rev as an array of arrays.

A long answer is, well, longer and covers some of the obvious:

An array variable in Rev is a container storing a list of values which are indexed for retrieval. It is implemented as an associative array.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associative_array

Since the keys of such an array can be anything, you can use two variables or literals with a comma in-between as index elements. This makes such an array appear like multi-dimensional arrays of Pascal, C, Fortran, etc., although technically, you still have one-dimensional array (each key is effectively a single string, a concatenation of your variables and comma).

Until now, this was the only way to get multi-dimensionality of your data.

Multi-dimensional arrays go way beyond that, making the index for each dimension independent, which Trevor so nicely explained and showed some of the new things possible.

Robert