Ok! Well you probably aren't that interested but I'm making progress. Here is the code for a button that loads the data, so the first part of the construction is accomplished. Any suggestions on improvement of course welcome. by the way, I noticed a typo in the docs, page 40, it says

If you set the uText dgText of a data grid table then the data is treated as tab delimited text.

the "uText" should be removed.

on mouseUp
  --Retreive the Excel CSV (quote and comma delimited) file
  answer file "The spread sheet file name?"
  put it into theExcelFile
  open file theExcelFile for read
  read from file theExcelFile until EOF
  put it into gTheData
  close file theExcelFile
-- Convert the CSV data to tab delimited
  put quote & comma & quote into csvPattern
  replace csvPattern with tab in gTheData
  replace quote with empty in gTheData
-- Leave out the column headers since they are part of the data grid
  delete line 1 of gTheData
  set the dgText of group "Data Grid 1" to gTheData
end mouseUp