That sounds a bit odd as I have managed to do distribution upgrades with
Ubuntu without having to do clean installs many times.

My recent problem was two-fold:

1. I chose to 'jump' from 5.10 to 8.04.2 - as doing sequntial dist. upgrades
would take over a week, use an awful lot of electricity, time, and so forth.

This was easily solved by doing a backup of the home directory.

2. (still unresolved) previously the standalones referenced mp3 sound
files (slowed to half-speed as RR and Ubuntu were playing "silly bu**ers"
there); and 8.0.4.2 doesn't "do" mp3 natively, adding capability via
medibuntu doesn't help RR leverage mp3s; so wondering which sound
file will work.

Peter Alcibiades wrote:
Not sure if any of the issues would still happen to you with Debian, but what
took me to Debian was the desire to avoid having to do clean installs to get
a distribution upgrade to the next release, which sounds a bit like the
Ubuntu situation.  Debian does continuous upgrades, I think Mepis now that
it is rebased on Debian also does.  Woodford took Mepis to Debian and away
from Ubuntu for exactly that reason.   Whereas I always put off doing a
release upgrade on Mandriva for exactly that reason, its such a pain.

Peter

Richmond Mathewson-2 wrote:
Nothing comes totally Free, and to play .swf files on my PCs in my school
comes at the price of upgrading my PCs to Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS (a complete
pain)