While "property" might not be the best name, I can't think of a name better suited, since custom properties are persistent across sessions, proprietary to an object, and the syntax is consistent with other object properties... the height, the width, the visible, the cpWhatEver of button x. It seems pretty simple and straightforward. What isn't intuitive is that a custom property can contain a stack, for example. Cool, but not intuitive. I mostly use them to keep variable contents or states alive across sessions.

Mark