Marty Knapp wrote:
Hey Alex,

You'll need to register a domain name with a registrar - many people here have recommended GoDaddy, which is what I use. Let's say you register "alextweedly.com" Then you edit the Nameserver setting with the registrar so that it points to On-Rev with the info that On-Rev provides, which is probably:

ns1.on-rev.com
ns2.on-rev.com

Then you can create an "Add-on" domain in your On-Rev control panel with the name you registered. Place your web site files in this new directory. Within a short while everything should sync up and requests for "alextweedly.com" will bring visitors to your On-Rev hosted site. And with On-Rev you can host unlimited sites.

A "freebie" you get with On-Rev is a user space with your account name, like "alextweedly.on-rev.com". You can host a site at this address without further registration.

HTH,
No, it doesn't - but thanks for trying to help.

I already have a domain (actually, quite a few of them :-)
I want to migrate some of them to OnRev, but like Sarah I want to test them properly before I risk changing nameservers, in case I am breaking something, and would have the site be down for a day or two before I can change them back again.

So the process Sarah described, namely
[...] wanted to test it out before changing the DNS entries.
I created a sub-domain "troz.troz.on-rev.com" so I could migrate my
site & test it, before changing it to an AddOn domain and altering the
DNS.
So the question was quite precise .... how do you "change a sub-domain to an AddOn domain" ?

There is no mention in the docs (afaics) of changing sub-domain to addon domain.

Thanks
-- Alex.

Marty Knapp
Sarah Reichelt wrote:
I have signed up as troz.on-rev.com.
I own the domain troz.net and plan to re-locate it's hosting, but I
wanted to test it out before changing the DNS entries.
I created a sub-domain "troz.troz.on-rev.com" so I could migrate my
site & test it, before changing it to an AddOn domain and altering the
DNS.
Could you expand slightly on how you do this ?

I (think I) unerstand most of it
- create a sub-domain
- copy files over
- test it

But how do you "change a sub-domain to an AddOn domain" ?

Thanks
-- Alex.