stevex64 wrote:

I have a very irritating problem occurring. In one part of my program a
global variable, g_region, is set to the name of a US state or Canadian
province. Later in the program there is a loop that compares the 17th
element of the line to g_region. If g_region and element 17 of the line are
the same, the program does something. Using the variable watcher, I can see
that g_region is set to a states name, and I can see that the 17th element
of the line is the same state as g_region. But the loop doesn't acknowledge
that the two are equivalent. I have tried :

"repeat for each line regLine in lData
   if item 17 of regLine = g_reg then //and I've tried "is" in place of the
equals sign, too.
      put item 17 of regLine into regFiltered
   end if
end repeat"

lData is just lines from a field being dropped into a variable. I tested
lData with "put the number of lines in lData", and it shows the correct
number of lines that I know are in that field.

In the very next line I test g_region with "put g_region", and it puts the
correct g_region value.

But if item 17 of regLine is, say, Texas and g_region is Texas, the loop
doesn't see them as being equivalent for some reason.

Any thoughts?

What is the itemDelimiter set to while this is running, and does it match the character used to delimit the values in regLine?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World