Sorry, should have written:

on mouseUp
put "id=d2b516" into oldWord
put "id=anything" into newWord
if fld id 1004 contains "id=d2b516" then
  replace oldWord with newWord in fld id 1004
  end if
end mouseUp

rather than
on mouseUp
put "id=d2b516" into oldWord
put "id=anything" into newWord
if fld id 1004 contains "id=d2b516" then
  replace oldWord with newWord in fld "fSTUFF"
  end if
end mouseUp

(this is because I prefer to give my fields names so that if
I copy them onto new cards I don't have to fiddle around
finding their new id numbers).

-= JB =- wrote:
Below is a piece of text from the field,

/link.php?&gr=1&id=d2b516&url=/ftt/

I will be replacing id=d2b516 with id=anything

-=>JB<=-