On Jun 10, 2009, at 8:40 AM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

Just tried that by running up a stack on Mac:

worked on Mac,

didn't on Ubuntu 8.04     sorry!

Sometimes you first have to set the field's font to a unicode font. What happens if you assign a unicode font to the field, then set the unicode text? Something like:

  set the textfont of fld "euro" to "font-name-here,unicode"
  set the unicodeText of fld "euro" to \
uniencode((numToChar(226) & numToChar(130) & numToChar(172)),"utf8")

At any rate, if the OS doesn't find a font with the symbol in it, it won't be able to render it.

Devin

Devin Asay wrote:

The only reliable way I can see is UTF-8. On my Mac the UTF-8 ASCII
equivalent string is €. But that's different on Windows, so I looked
at the ASCII code points for the three characters. They are 226 130
172. So I tried the following and it reliably rendered the Euro sign
on both Mac and Windows (no Linux here for me to try, but it should
work there, too.)

set the unicodeText of fld "euro" to \
uniencode((numToChar(226) & numToChar(130) & numToChar(172)),"utf8")

That ought to work for you.

Regards,

Devin

Devin Asay