I think that any unicode font is going to throw up more problems than it is going to solve,
here's why:

http://mathewson.110mb.com/skt.html  (page not accessible from my homepage)

Now, unless somebody can come up with a way of using numToChar with Hexadecimal encoding refs rather than unicode addresses we are going to be stuck with regard to conjunct consonants (and, let's face it, we all have a secret urge to write 'GNR' or 'GR' in Devanagari from time to time).

So . . . I hope, over this weekend to get to grips with taking a free Devanagari font "to bits" and popping
it back together as an extended non-unicode ttf font.

Sivakatirswami wrote:
Richmond:

My crazy "dream" would be to have a revApplet that runs in a browser and/or a desktop client that accesses Tamil-Devanagari (you're right I had the spelling wrong) data from the web server in flat files, or possibly in a dBase... loads the text, edit and sends it back to the server, then can be imported into Indesign, emails etc. works on all platforms...

Um, what is Tamil-Devanagari? Although it is obvious that the Tamil writing system has developed from Devanagari, I don't understand what 'Tamil-Devanagari' is; unless you are intending to write Tamil in Devanagari.
I have also done the indic-text-as-images on web pages, but there are enough mandates for edits, portability, interactivity that no longer works, and the mandate now for all kinds of reasons: moving forward, the data must be in unicode.
NO; it doesn't have to be in Unicode as long as you stick with one 'in-house' font (which 'old-sweaty-socks' here is trying to provide) which is embedded in everything, and in the case of your DTP packages, available on whatever systems they are running on.

If you *do* manage to build a OT-TTF-Unicode font for Devanagari that works in Rev on both Windows and Mac I would be very, very interested. I'm sure it would probably work in Windows too.

As for keyboards: if you can, stick with standards: on the Mac, there's the Devanagari QWERTY and also the Devanagari (which follows a pattern based on the Devanagari alphabet) I can send those to you if you need them. Only thing (argh!) both fail to offer key input for udatta and anudatta (stress marks, 0951, 0952) and the only environment that you can use to pick them is from the Glyphs palette in InDesign.
Sounds jolly tedious.
If you are inputting into Pages or MSword, there is no input method for those to chars, which are mission critical...

Surely, what is needed is a TTf font with a proper keylayout that allows all those things such as Anusvara that I have forgotten. {I taught myself a working knowledge of Sanskrit and translated part of Srimad Bhagavad-Gita about 25 years ago as got a bit fussed by the fact that so many English translations of the text seemed to contradict each other; still have the translated bits, mouldering in a bookshelf} . . . I really am a nutty fruitcake. :)