Dear Group,

I have two items that I hope someone can help on. One is very straightforward: I need to filter a field by the items. That is, I have a field with zillions of records with four items (comma delimited)

itemone,itemtwo,itemthree,itemfour

I want itemfour to disappear after I put the field into a variable. The problem is that item four is never the same, so I can't filter by a specific string. I'm sure there must be a way to just have all of item four go poof.

Second, I have a field that is full of TAB delimited records like this:

Southern Arizona Trip TAB 5/27/1973 TAB This was the trip when we got two flat tires in the middle of nowhere.

Just three items each. Sometimes, however, item three is a whole ten- page essay with paragraph returns but no tabs of course.

When I pasted all of these records in a field, not everything appears there if you scroll through it. However, if you script: answer fld journal, you see the complete version. If you copy the journal field to the clipboard it is also complete. But you cannot SEARCH the field for the things in it because they're hidden. Is there some field property that is truncating the field in various places? I feel that I am back to hypercard with the 30,000 character limit. What gives?

I want to see all of the stuff I wrote without copying it and pasting it somewhere. It's so strange to see only a small part of what you wrote and then to copy the text and find that it is, indeed, there.

Thanks,
Tom