I've been avoiding using Unicode because of all the difficulties noted here with Rev, and I just haven't needed it. But now I have a bunch of files in which I don't know whether they're UTF-8 or UTF-16, and I don't know which language's character set they use.

First, I need to just display these in a field. That would seem simple enough, but I haven't figured out a reliable way to do this without knowing some external information about the files. Use the wrong character set and they look like junk.

Then I need to get the formattedText of the field so I can measure distances to line breaks. So far it seems that the formattedText property is limited to ASCII only -- is that correct?

Am I just missing something obvious here?

I'll continue with my experiments, but if you have any pointers they would be much appreciated.

TIA -

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World