On Tue Aug 25, 2009; William Marriott wjm at wjm.org wrote:
There are many reasons why we opted to make revMedia a free product.
I'll detail some of them here:

1) Students.
(snip)
2) Ubiquity.
(snip)
3) Great content everyone can see.
(snip)
4) It's 2009 and the Web is all about FREE.
(snip)
5) Revenue.
(snip)
- Bill
   RunRev marketing guy

Bill,

I am really happy that you eventually have re-introduced a free version. In 2001 the Rev team strongly opposed such deliberations, mainly because of economical reasons.

Here is a part of my post sent to Kevin (Miller) some days ago, when I extended my license up to 2013.

I congratulate you on the decision to offer one version of Revolution to the public for free. In 2001 we both had an exchange on the Revolution list about such free versions. I had proposed to you to continue to support the Metacard version - as some sort of "Revolution Light" - and either offer it for free or at a very low price. Such a step - in my opinion - would have been necessary, because at that time you discontinued the free "Starter Kit" versions - from economical reasons as you stated it, if I remember correctly.

Not having at my disposal such Starter Kits has impeded my work to some substantial degree with students at our university. We were however lucky to be able to continue to use the old Starter Kit versions (which one could extend up to version 2.5), but were of course unable to work with newly introduced features.-

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke