On Sep 9, 2009, at 3:01 AM, Kevin Stallibrass wrote:

Hi all,
Had no takers on this one so I thought I'd repost it....
I have a problem where:

Put fld "contains FTP path" into tURL
libURLftpUploadFile  "c:/myfile.txt", tURL ,"showStatus"

works fine but.

Put fld "contains FTP path" into tURL
Put "c:/myfile.txt" into tFilepath
libURLftpUploadFile  tFilepath, tURL , "showStatus"

Results in "c:/myfile.txt" instead of the correct data being written into
the uploaded text file

The same happens if I use libURLftpUpload

So, is it not possible to use 2 variables? Or am I missing something

My quick guess is that you are seeing the following...

-1-
libURLftpUploadFile  "c:/myfile.txt", tURL ,"showStatus"

sending a string to be used by libURLftpUploadFile

-2-
libURLftpUploadFile  tFilepath, tURL ,"showStatus"

allowing the function to 'evaluate' the string inside the variable
This probably results in either
   empty if the file 'myfile.txt' does not exist
  the contents of myfile.txt read from the hard drive
-------
Try this variation
put "c:/" into tFilepath
put "myfile.txt" into tFilename
--now concatenate to form the param at the time of sending
libURLftpUploadFile ( tFilepath & tFilename), tURL ,"showStatus"

This is confusing, I know, but when working with interpretive languages, these nuances are part of the landscape. They have their purpose since there are times when this is exactly what you want. Power programmers use this to their advantage when the literal path and filename is not known but discovered at runtime on different hard drives.

Hope this works for you.  Let us know.
If not I will do a little digging into the libURLftpUploadFile in the library to see how Rev uses the first param.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas