After my long-winded rant I felt I at least owed it to David to answer his original question -

David Epstein wrote:
Has anybody tried to build a scrollable, horizontally and vertically splittable window interface that allows a user to create and freely add, delete, and edit graphic objects or fields in any pane of the window?

There are a good many ways to do this, but hopefully this example will be at least a little helpful:

  go url "http://fourthworldlabs.com/rev/splitter-experiment.rev";

It's a very rudimentary four-pane layout I threw together in just a couple minutes for you, so it's missing a lot of the finishing touches like cursor changes, resize limits, etc., but may help you get started working with multi-pane layouts.

With the Dictionary pointers at the end of my long message earlier, you should be able to add support for adding and manipulating objects within those groups.

Keep us posted on how it works out.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World