I'm working on a new project and I'd like some advice on how to create custom controls to use on a graphical process display. This will display a water pipeline system with all it's tanks, pipe, valves, flow/pressure meters etc. One of the items I have to display is a water tank and I need to display how much water is in it as both a number and a graphical representation of the water level. I've got the gist of the drawing managed but I'm going to have to have several of these and I don't want to hand create them every time so I'm looking to make a "water tank" custom control.

I need to put it somewhere, send it a current level which would update the numeric display and set the "water" level. I'd also like to size them so I could have big ones and small ones.

That's a long introduction to my actual question. I know I can make a group of the various parts and script the updating and possibly sizing using behavior scripts but once I've created it, where to I put it? Do I create a stack with this group on it and then clone it where I need it? Do I copy and paste (via script)? I can't add it to the Rev graphic object pallet like the datagrid is now.

This is not the only custom control I'm going to need so I'm looking for a generic way to handle this kind of thing. In the end, the program will not only have a display of our pipeline but I'd also like to have a separate design program to create the system diagrams in case any other pipelines want to use the program.

len morgan