Richard to the rescue again - thanks! IMHO the default setting of margins should be explained in some other place than under 'margins', because if you don't know what a margin is or that it exists for a group, you're stuffed. I have submitted a note to the docs for the 'group' command.

Graham

On 21 Sep 2009, at 19:00, use-revolution-requ...@lists.runrev.com wrote:

Message: 16
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:59:49 -0700
From: Richard Gaskin <ambassa...@fourthworld.com>
To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution@lists.runrev.com>

Graham Samuel wrote:
If I group two images or two graphics (or maybe other objects - I
haven't tried), where one image is totally within the bounds of the
other (for example, one is 640 x 480 and the other is 120 x 120 and
the loc of each is the same), then the group turns out bigger than
than the larger of the two images! There seems to be an invisible
margin of 4 pixels all the way around the group, making the group 8
pixels wider and higher than the original largest image. Is this
supposed to happen? I have not found a way to avoid it, and so if I
want to maintain the size of my composite image I will have to crop
it, which to me is totally unexpected. My group has no border, and
AFAICS the boundingRect property has no influence on the situation.

Can anyone explain why this is happening?

A new group will have its margins set to 4 by default.  Setting the
group's margins property to 0 after creation should take care of the issue.