On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 09:34 AM, Dave Cragg wrote:

Does your printing routine write out any files, and if so, does it write them to the Program files directory or some other "out of bounds" location. If so, that will be a problem. If you need to write files, they should be saved somewhere in the user's area of the Application and Settings folder (typically create a folder for your app in the user's Application Data folder). Alternatively, have the users install the app inside their area of the Applications & Settings folder.

Dave, thanks & yes my printing routing writes some temp files. I think this might be the problem. I'm debugging over the phone so I can't tell for sure. At first I didn't think this was the issue because the sysadmin said the permissions were such that the app could write files into Program Files folder, and the app was behaving as if it was writing temp files OK, for other functions. That it hung on printing was kind of a surprise.

But right now I'm assuming that the writing to Program Files\AppName as a limited user account was the cause of the problem.

Do you mean Documents and Settings, not Application and Settings? Does script this look sane to you?

put specialFolderPath(kCSIDL_APPDATA) into tAppDataPath
if tAppDataPath = empty then
  Err "Unknown path to \Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data"
end if
put format("%s/MyApp", tAppDataPath) into tPath
if there is not a folder tPath then -- create it
  create folder tPath
if the result <> empty then
  Err the result
end if