"Everybody likes a flasher."

I wanted a flash effect to signal to end-users
that something was happening that was quite
subtle, so I popped this into the script of the
button that made the subtle changes:

on mouseUp
  lock screen
  set the coloroverlay["color"] of img "BACK.png"  to white
  set the coloroverlay["opacity"] of img "BACK.png"  to "200"
  unlock screen
  wait 15 ticks
  set the outerGlow of img "BACK.png" to empty
  set the colorOverlay of img "BACK.png" to empty

  do OTHER RUBBISH
end mouseUp

where 'BACK.png' is my background image that is a
fairly dark, textured PNG.

[only works in RunRev 4 and "upwards"]

a pain in the bum is that, so far, the COLOROVERLAY stuff
is not properly documented: so pop my script into a button
and muck about with the parameters.

very effective!