I think I have found an elegant solution. My brother had an excellent idea to do something with another field behind my field. So I made a second field "B" (same size) behind my original fld "A". The topfield "A" has the blendLevel set to 15. I made a script which mirrors everything I type or delete in fld "A" in fld "B". So the two flds always have the same content. (I still have to mirror the textStyles). Now to mark a piece of text, I set the backColor of fld"B" to black. It shines thru a bit because of the blendlevel of 15 of fld "A". Now I can still select pieces of text in fld "A" and see what I have selected. And I can see which parts of the text have been 'marked'. It works fine, even with parts that overlap marked and selected text.

Thanks for all the ideas,

Beat