David Bovill wrote:
Creative Commons (CC) is not advised for code as it was not designed for it
legally speaking. Some people use it (mainly as there is no FOSS license I
know of which says "non-commercial"), but it's not advised.

One of the things I like about some forms of the CC license (of which there are a confusing dozen or so configurations <g>) is the "share alike" option, which renders works free of license fees only when used in works which are also free of license fees.

This raises a question I've had for some time: how does one go about implementing something like the dual licensing of MySQL?

I don't know many other projects which even attempt dual licensing, but for some of my projects I like the idea of maintaining a revenue stream from the product while also giving it away.

One of the downsides to relying solely on services as the revenue source from software is that it disincentivizes good design: if a product is sufficiently complete and easy to use it requires no consulting.

Without users covering the costs of development through license fees, FOSS projects are limited to:

a) projects sufficiently trivial that they don't require much time
   from the programmer.

b) big projects which are complex enough to require supplemental
   services.

c) some strategic value to an outside funder to make it worth their
   while to pay for it.

d) programmers who've been successful enough with paying work that
   they can finally enjoy being able to work for free.

How viable is a dual license scheme if one hopes to derive revenue from licensees? And how exactly does one go about it?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World