Richard Gaskin wrote:

I once argued with him on that one, insisting it was absolutely necessary to have it after I discovered it while doing a port. His answer was that if I need a custom behavior then use a custom name. He did offer to reconsider if I could come up with a scenario in which it would be truly necessary, but even after enlisting the help of the good folks here none of us could come up with one.

I did, but he didn't buy it. And I only needed it that one time, for a HC conversion on a poorly-written stack. In this one case an override would have saved me hours of work. But that was the only time I ever missed it.