It is best practice to eliminate tell statements where they are not required.

Finder is not necessary for this command.

choose folder
set f to result

On Oct 28, 2009, at 2:45 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

assume: AFP mount volume "Varuna"  (server across the LAN)
on desktop...

this used to work fine as of 3 days ago

(I builT the script dynamically in runRev)

tell application "Finder"
open alias "Varuna:Ekadanta Kulam:Database:EMBs:78585 Chris Brooking:"
end tell

but today AppleScript returns
"missing value"

If I test in the ScriptEditor.app... I get the same error.

In the Script Editor, run this script:

tell application "Finder"
        choose folder
end tell

and select the folder you want. Then check exactly what it gives you
as the result.
I just did that and then opening it worked fine, so the most likely
thing is a tiny error in your file path.

Cheers,
Sarah