print <<HTML;
<head>
<title>A Simple Perl CGI</title>
</head>
<h1>A Simple Perl CGI</h1>
HTML
exit;
It's in http://www.alextweedly.on-rev.com/cgi-bin/hw.pl

It's actually in <my home folder>/public_html/cgi-bin/hw.pl
permissions is 755

The thing that took me a few tries was line endings - I initially transferred it with the on-rev client (from Windows), and that failed to convert the line endings (file was 210 bytes locally and on the server).

I switched to transferring it with FileZille (setting the transfer type to ASCII, not leaaving it as auto - just to be safe). Now the file is 210 bytes on my laptop, but 196 on the server - and now it works. I had a similar problem (only took hours to solve it) when I tried using Python.

So - any time I have a problem on on-rev, first thing I do is look at the line endings ...

Good luck
-- Alex.

Michael Kann wrote:
I'm happy with how easy it is to get started with the on-rev website. I'm stuck, though, with trying to get a Perl script to work. Can anyone post a working setup recipe? I only need a feeble "hello" to get going.
I guess I'll need:

name of file
text of file
placement of file on server
extension on file
permissions on files and folders

I've tried every permutation of the above and nothing has worked.
Thanks in advance.

Michael Kann