I'm trying to parse a file, who's format I have no control over. I have found the pattern that I need but in order to make it work (easily) I need the equivalent of lineoffset to work from the end mark (which I can reliably find) and the start of that section which is a variable number of lines above the end mark.

The start of a section is a line by itself with "------------..." but this same line is also used to mark off other sections that I don't need. So, what I need to do is:

1) find the line offset to the next end-of-section marker
2) find the line offset from #1 BACKWARDS to the first line that starts with "------------..."

Is there such a function? I can always roll my own and just read lines backwards from #1 above until I find the start mark but why reinvent the wheel if such a function is already in revTalk.

len