This seems to do it for me as well. I'm trying this (watch linewraps)

(in a button, for testing)

on mouseUp
   put shell("ioreg") into tList
   filter tList with "*IOUSBDevice*"
   --  | |   |   +-o DeskJet 8...@1d100000  <class IOUSBDevice, \
   --             registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 8>
   --  | |   |   +-o IR recei...@5d100000  <class IOUSBDevice, \
   --             registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 8>
-- | | | +-o Apple Internal Keyboard / track...@5d200000 <class \ -- IOUSBDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 10>
   --  | |   |   +-o iousbwirelesscontrollerdev...@1a100000  <class \
-- IOUSBDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 10>
   --  | |   |   +-o wireless laser notebook mo...@1a200000  <class \
-- IOUSBDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 8>
   --  | |   |   +-o Built-in isi...@fd400000  <class IOUSBDevice, \
   --             registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 9>
   filter tList without "*Keyboard*"
   filter tList without "* IR *"
   filter tList without "*Wireless*"
   filter tList without "*mouse*"
   filter tList without "*iSight*"
   --  ?? other things to filter out to leave only printers ??
   repeat for each line d in tList
      put offset("+-o",d)+4 into startChar
      put offset("<class",d)-1 into endChar
      put sr(char startChar to endChar of d) into d2
      put offset("@",d2) into aChar
      put char 1 to aChar-1 of d2 & cr after newList
   end repeat
   delete char -1 of newList
   put newList
end mouseUp

At my site this morning, this returns "Deskjet 845C" when the printer is plugged in, and empty if is isn't. What else should be filtered out to leave only the name of the connected printer? There are probably other USB devices that wouldn't be caught by what I have so far. I'll have my beta testers' feedback to work with, but anyone else with a Mac who can chime in here is welcome....

... and, anyone know the significance of the number after the @ character for each device? Could I use this to catch printers as opposed to other devices?

TIA,
-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham