On 5 Dec 2009, at 15:09, Colin Holgate wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2009, at 5:48 AM, Dave Cragg wrote:
>
>> In what circumstances would you ever need to use this. The url returns over
>> 1700 lines of text, and so many questions are raised:
>>
>> -- Why would you download so much data just to get a single item?
>
> There isn't a choice about that, in any language. By giving the RBS code
> you've already reduced the list down from all companies to just one, but
> beyond that you would have to have another online script dedicated to
> extracting the most recent date to cut the returned text down the one line.

But there's another API method for returning a single quote:
(http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=RBS.L&f=l1) This wouldn't
require any chunking expression at all. (get url
"http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=RBS.L&f=l1";) But it also
wouldn't require much of the code in the other languages.

My point was that the one liner used in the example didn't represent a real
world task, and therefore is in danger of being ridiculed.  If we are to
propose comparisons, it shouldn't be along the lines of this:

How would you do the following in Java/C/etc?

get last item of line 2 of url
"http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=RBS.L";

but rather,

How would you get and display the latest stock price for RBS.L from the
internet in Rev/ Java/C/etc?