Bernard Devlin wrote:
But from what you're saying it seems to me
that the voting system is being re-purposed.

Not exactly. I was basing it on a discussion I had with Mark Waddingham, who bemoaned the fact that votes don't give him much indication of what to work on next. The voting system hasn't really changed, but people haven't been using it as intended. This makes it hard for the engineers to triage the bug fixes. They can't fix everything immediately, so they use several different ways to determine what to prioritize. One of those things (but not the only thing) is how many people are actually affected by an issue. Crashes always get top priority, but after that they need to figure out how widespread the impact of a bug is. Votes were intended to give them some indication of that.

Feature requests are probably a little different. Votes on those show how many people would like and use the proposed new feature. But even so, the team would prefer that you vote on feature requests only if you're pretty sure it would make a difference in the type of work you do. I'm guessing that there's more flexibility here; we don't always know what a future project may need. But if your work is mostly with databases, for example, and a feature request involves, say, animation, maybe you shouldn't necesarily vote on that one regardless of how good a feature it might be.

Basically what he was saying was that if the voting system doesn't reflect the user experience, the votes don't give them much to go on. He's also concerned that people might vote because someone asks them to, which skews the count even more. A list member may be able to gather a number of votes for a pet bug, all from people who were never affected by it, but who want to support a friend.