On 17/01/2010 18:38, William Ziegler wrote:
I have a stack that allows teachers and parents to attach videos for students to write sentences about. These videos are created with various devices and thus have different heights and widths. I currently store these videos in a default folder, and use a 'Player', which I probe for the Height and Width to resize large clips to a set maximum size.

Teachers have asked if I could package all the videos into each stack to make it easier to send home and/or share lessons with other teachers.

I am having a hard time manipulating videoclips with the PLAY command as compared to using a 'Player' with external video files.

Player example:

create player "myPlayer"
Set the filename of player "myPlayer" to fName
put the width of  player "myPlayer" into realWidth
put the height of player "myPlayer" into realHeight
if the height of player "myPlayer" > 330 then
put 330/realHeight into theRatio
set the height of player "myPlayer" to theRatio *RealHeight
etc.

I know I can set the RATIO of stack based videoclips, but how can I find their initial size in order to know if their image will be too large?

Is my best option to store the clips in the stack, temporarily export them to the hard drive when needed,use the file in a 'Player', then delete the file when finished.

NOT REALLY:

1. You cannot (as far as I know) export videoClips or audioClips that are embedded in a stack

(actually this is an old chestnut I have been banging on about for ages and ages)

2. If you bung all your video files in a stack the RAM overhead will skyrocket, and on machines
that don't have buckets of RAM everything will grind to an untimely halt.

What you could do (as I did when faced with a similar problem with about 200 videoClips about 7 years ago) is pop each videoClip into its own substack; that way all your videoClips won't be clogging up the RAM at once; as you need each clip you can load the substack, play the thing, and then close it - thereby offloading the videoClip from the RAM, freeing RAM for the next one.