Thanks Mark - that's kind of what I thought. The four character idea sounds good.

Marty Knapp
Hi Marty,

There are no official lists of file extensions. You are free to use whatever you want. The creator type registration at Apple is a relic from the past and you're free to ignore it, but I still think it is a good thing to register your new creator types there and to adhere to it.

I often use 4-character file extensions to reduce the probability that the file extension is widely used by a different application already. Whatever 3-char combination you choose, someone has probably already used it.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com