Chris Sheffield wrote:
Jacque,

Here's some more info from our end. Not sure if everyone is
experiencing this same behavior or not, but in our case, the
executable inside the app bundle is actually getting damaged. We
compared an app that had been launched with parental controls enabled
for it and one that hadn't, and the one that had was about 1 MB
smaller. When trying to launch the executable directly from Terminal,
we get a file read error. So in this case, it looks like no amount of
messing with permissions is going to fix the problem. The file is
toast at that point.

Well that would certainly explain it.

Another interesting tidbit of information is that the damage only
seems to occur on Intel machines. On a PPC machine, we still have a
problem launching the app when parental controls are enabled, but all
we have to do to fix it is deselect the app in parental controls. On
an Intel machine, this does not work. The app is built as a universal
binary. We're going to try building only for Intel just to see if
there's any difference.

Sounds like it may be related to a comment that was posted to the web page I mentioned:

"With the transition to Intel-compatible software a new wrinkle has developed. Specifically a "universal" binary will only load on Mac OS X version 10.3.9 for PowerPC-based Macs and 10.4.x for Intel-based Macs.

In some cases the "universal" binary may only load on Mac OS X 10.4 and newer on PowerPC-based Macs. No error message will appear and no error entry may appear in the Console - it simply won't launch."