Jeff Massung wrote:

I'm still new to Rev, but in other languages this is dead simple:

    // nuke everything else at the end of the file
    trunctate(fp, new_len);

Done.

Now, maybe this isn't as easy in Rev as it is in C and *many* other
languages. But it should be [if it isn't].
That is *exactly* the problem - Rev doesn't expose ftruncate() (or ftell() either), so what should be very simple becomes very difficult.

In C, or Python, or even shell it is simple, but Rev's incomplete interface to the file system causes the problem.

I opened a RQCC report (#1851) in 2004 to request the enhancement of providing a way to get the file position (i.e. ftell()). That report remains "Unconfirmed".

Given that response, I have not chosen to waste any time entering an enhancement request for truncate.

-- Alex.