Thanks Richard and others who've posted on this. Very interesting articles. Now *all* I need to to do is wrap my brain around all this and decide how to proceed!

Marty
Marty Knapp wrote:
I like the idea of pre-generated keys. It seems like a good in-between
method. If your user then registered their key and someone else
subsequently tried to register the same number you would have some
recourse. I don't want to get bogged down in lots of administrative
hassles, so I like this method. Does anyone have suggestions about
setting up something like this? And a method for verifying the key?

Challenging, but fun:

Start by reading these for inspiration:

The Plain Truth about Casual Software Piracy
by Matt Slot, Ambrosia Software
<http://www.windowsusers.org/piracy.html>

Anti Cracking FAQ
How to make cracking your programs a little harder
<http://www.inner-smile.com/nocrack.phtml>