I believe U3 is a reference to a removable media system where simply by
attaching it to the computing device, it would enable software on the U3 device
to become dynamically installed in the OS, and when removed the software would
be dynamically uninstalled, so to speak.

Like any powerful tool, it can also be used for harm rather than good. I am not
sure what the safeguards are. I know of a friend who has a USB device that when
plugged into a computer silently downloads all the serial numbers and the
passwords it can find on a Windows box. Later he can run software on the USB
device to crack the Windows passwords (not a hard feat these days as MD5 has
been quite crackable for some time).

hth, Bob