Peter Alcibiades wrote:

There's real innovation, for better or worse, going on in Linux desktops in
the last year or two.
Gnome and KDE are a lot freer to take risks than either MS or Apple, and
they are taking advantage of that.  I don't know that you would like the
latest KDE, but its worth looking at as an example of innovation in this
area.

I'll check it out.

I very much appreciate your participation here, as we have relatively few on this list who use Linux as extensively as you do.

Your note about their design freedom is a good one, and their willingness to explore new options for improving the desktop experience bodes well not only for Linux but the computing industry as a whole.

Within 10 years I see a world whose market share eliminates any single OS vendor holding a majority, instead becoming a plurality in which Apple, Microsoft, and Linux each enjoy about a third of the market. This would put Apple tripling its current share, with most of Linux's new users coming from the increasingly disenchanted MS base.

Innovations like the latest Gnome that favor simplicity will favor that trend.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World