David Coker wrote:

There seems to be an easy consensus, so that's the direction I'll take
my code...
Up until now I have never attempted using the wordOffset function for
the small things I've been building with Rev, so I guess it's time to
work it into my coding routines for the future.

Thank you folks so much for the advice and samples!
Be a little bit careful here ....

the original script you posted (i.e. using replace) will replace the string "Piper" with "Jones" - regardless of whether it is an entire word on its own or not. so "abc Piper def" would become "abc Jones def", but also "abc ghiPiperjkl def" would become "abc ghiJonesjkl def".

However, using wordoffset as described here will replace the entire word, so "abc ghiPiperjkl def" would become "abc jones def" !!

If you only want to replace Piper when it is the entire word, you can set wholeMatches (q.v.) true to get around this.

If not, then you might instead do
  put offset("Piper", tContainer) into tStart
  put "Jones" into char tStart to tStart+4 of tContainer

-- Alex.
  put "Jones" into char (charoffset